Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Be Still

Psalm 46, 12 x 12", mixed media
My father died in a tractor accident over twenty years ago. It was March, in the middle of Lent. At his service, Psalm 46 was read. My mind had been in overdrive for days trying to comprehend what had happened and what the future would be like with this sudden loss; but it was dumbstruck at these words: "Be still, and know that I am God!" Just the words I needed to hear, and within the context of turmoil and suffering. These words, along with "Remember that you are dust and  to dust you shall return" are comforting words to me.
       I appreciate the perspective correction; particularly these days with the escalation of rant and the extreme need to be right. I am guilty of this type of thinking. This causes me to miss out on the bigger picture and the beauty of our world and our lives. So, this Lent (Spring) I am going to quiet my mind and sharpen my senses to watch the season unfold. It is going to be pretty glorious to experience Spring!
      And there will be a visual aid for this journey: St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Paris, KY is displaying a special exhibit for Lent titled, Be Still. It will have work that evokes stillness or a sense of calm. My offering for the exhibit is a painting inspired by Psalm 46 (shown above.)The exhibit goes up Sunday, March 9, 2014 and will be on display through Sunday, April 13, 2014.  St. Peter's is located at 311 High Street in Paris, KY (right behind the courthouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment