Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Rest of the Story

Jour de Noel, Strasbourg
Last month, I posted the underpainting of my painting of my favorite tree in Strasbourg, France. (Please see, Underpinnings, January 24, 2012.) Now I have added the layers of pastel and more watercolor and more pastel. It was a bit of work to do justice to this beautiful tree. It is a sycamore or plane tree. They are a favorite tree used to line the streets in Europe, as they are here. But in Europe they have a method of pruning the trees, called pollarding, so that they have knobby and massive limbs with willowy shoots.

    I had not been in Europe in December since my first trip to Europe (34 years ago.) I was quite taken with the beautiful quality of the afternoon sky, which seemed to be both cool and warm at the same time. Although it rained almost every day we were in France, Christmas Day the sun shone with this lovely light. This light was also a challenge; it was diffuse, but illuminating.

    Are you interesting in trying out this combination of mediums? There are two opportunities coming up. I will be teaching Experimenting with Watercolor & Pastel at the Lexington Art Academy. The next class begins March 1st, on Thursdays form 7 - 9 pm, four sessions.  There is an afternoon session, beginning Tuesday, April 3rd, 1:30 - 3:30 pm.  Please check out all the courses available on: lexingtonartacademy.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment