Tuesday, October 22, 2013

10-22-13 Weekly Watercolor

At Rogers Point, watercolor, 14 x 17"
This week's offering is from the "archives." Recently, I went through my mother's belongings in Maine. She died nine years ago, but my stepfather was reluctant to let go of her things, so when we were up in Maine for Richard's memorial picnic, we had a chance to collect some items. This is a painting I made for my mother twenty years ago. At the time, I was painting mostly in watercolor because it seemed the simplest with young children about (not sure why I thought that!) I must have worked on this while the kids were away a couple of hours at preschool. Working with watercolor is very meditative (though painting with kids running around would not be.)
      I shipped back several paintings and it is nice to have old visions hanging around once again. Here, I especially remember the refreshing visit to Maine in the midst of a hot, humid Kentucky summer. And what joy to see my children experience the wonders of the natural world. The coast of Maine is an excellent spot for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment