Thursday, October 9, 2014

Moon Musings

Blood Moon, 5.5 x 5.5", mixed media
Very early Wednesday morning, I simply walked down my driveway to witness a wonder of our solar system. The earth's shadow slowly covered the moon. When I ventured out, there was already a visible bite taken out of the moon. Shivers ran through me: The universe is so large ! It was a major perspective corrective: the political season we are enduring right now doesn't count for much in the long run.
     The scene was so dramatic, a sound track would have been appropriate. Do you suppose there is a sound of light waves being blocked? I was fascinated to read about the red light that makes its way around the earth light the moon. And light passing through the ozone (which absorbs the red light waves) makes a rim of turquoise around the moon when the eclipse is complete.
     We were only able to see the first half of the spectacle in the eastern U.S. As dawn approached, the moon sunk low and it was a beautiful pink color, almost blending in the the dawn sky and a bit tricky to spot.  I've never seen the moon quite like that before. So I made a painting of that as well.

Pink Moon, 5.5 x 5.5", watercolor/pastel 
    Both of these little paintings will be part of an exhibit at MS Rezny Studio/Gallery, 903 Manchester Street, Distillery District, Lexington, KY in November. Titled Totems, Tales & 'Toons, the exhibit includes drawings (cartoons) by my friend and Rector, Chris Brannock, as well as my paintings of some of my personal totems and tales. We will be part of the Lexington Gallery Hop on November 21, 2014, 5 - 8 pm.



No comments:

Post a Comment