Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Eat an Apple Today!

I did not attend the big debate on creationism yesterday (February 4, 2014) or watch it live-streamed. I did read about it in the papers this morning and hear about it on the radio. It was pretty predictable that no twain was going to be met. Admittedly, I am more of the Bill Nye the Science Guy camp and why wouldn't I be? I love the wonder and awe of our world and the universe. To me, that is what is missing in Creationist, Ken Ham's approach (you could say his ham-strung approach.) The main point seems to be having all the answers, now and forever.
      I am no theologian or bible scholar, but  listening to creationists, I wonder, what is the point of humanity? If the story stops almost 2000 years ago, what are we here for? Does humanity not have anything to add to narrative of creation? And what is the point of that tempting fruit in the middle of the garden? We humans are curious and creative. We are mortal, too, so that as we return to dust, humanity might be refreshed by future humans. Evolution is pretty refreshing, too. Sure, life isn't always a stroll in the garden at the time of the evening breeze, but it is always interesting and often amazing if your eyes are open and your senses alive. Thank you, Eve! I think I'll have an apple now.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment