To prepare the two panels for the demonstration, I painted a layer of transparent burnt umber. A composition was suggested with brush strokes. I wanted to have my thoughts gathered before painting in public. My choice of medium was also determined by the setting. I chose acrylic over watercolor, as watercolor takes a lot strategic thinking; not possible when working the crowd! But, it was interesting that the openness to an ever changing cast of characters, also opened my mind to new ways of approaching the paintings. So, these paintings are a little different from what I have created before.
I was not able to complete both paintings during the Art Walk. In fact, I did very little on the square primrose painting at the top, left. I simply used up some paint on my brush to quickly start on the leaves. I finished both paintings in my studio. I took what I learned in community with me. Now I have souvenirs of my visit to the beaches of Normandy and an interesting evening of living the artist's life.
* * * * *
You can read more about Wild Primroses in my April 6th posting.