Monday, April 11, 2011

Wild Phlox and White Horse

    From my last posting, you know that I fell in love with the wild primroses of Normandy.  I was hoping to bring that abundance to my gardens here in Kentucky, but I read in the White Flower Farm catalogue that primroses dislike the heat and humidity of the south (although David reports that "cowslips" as they are called in his home turf, did just fine in Virginia.) I guess that is what makes flavor local!  Viva la difference! I've been considering which new paintings to bring to White Horse for the Paris Art Walk and I was reminded of our own Kentucky abundance when I saw my painting of wild phlox at Blue Licks State Resort Park.  In April, wild phlox carpet the hillside on the Indian Run trail.  Last year I made a small painting in watercolor/pastel, that is at White Horse.  This year, I made a large painting ( 48x16") in acrylic on panel.  Since this represents a newish direction for me (and wild abundance) I am going to include it in the show at White Horse.  I hope you can come to the Paris Art Walk and see my work at White Horse Gallery, 431 Main Street, Paris, KY.  Hours for the Art Walk are Friday, April 15th, 5-8 pm.  Roz and Richard Roney-Dougal have a beautiful collection of original equine-themed jewelry and a fun selection of gifts.  There is something for everyone. A new exhibit of paintings is on the way in May, so I hope you can see my paintings before they come down! And remember, I will be demonstrating painting primroses (I will have those primroses!)
      The wild phlox provide a segue to The Student Art Show at the Blue Licks lodge, Friday through Sunday, April 15-17th.  This is an exhibit of art work by middle and high school students from Harrison, Fleming, Mason, Clark, Bath, Nicholas and Robertson counties in Kentucky.  (And you know from Part Two of my Art Colony series that this is the brainchild of Larry Mitchell, our Courthouse Square Arts Guild fearless leader.) My suggestion is that you take a little hike along the Indian Run trail (maps available at the desk in the lodge) and see the Student Art Show. Enjoy the beauty of Kentucky this weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment